This is a patient who complained of blurry vision in his right eye over one week associated with pain with eye movements and a central scotoma. He had a right afferent pupillary defect and dyschromatopsia OD.
Figures 2-3. This patient's axial and coronal MRI scans showed increased signal in the right optic nerve on T1 weighted imaging
1. What is the most likely diagnosis?
2. What is the natural history of this condition?
3. With what systemic disease is the above condition most closely associated? How strong is this association?
4. What is the value of MRI in the evaluation of this condition?
5. What route and dosage of steroids may be beneficial in this condition?